HERODOT - Thematic Network for Geography Teaching and Training
Doing a Better
Job for European Geographers
A Conference Supporting the Professional Development of Geography Academics and Enhancing the Employability of Geography Graduates
HERODOT is a Thematic Network for Geography teachers and lecturers in Higher Education. However it also sits in the thematic area of Education Studies, as it seeks to:
- report on the impacts of curriculum change and developments on Geography and Geographical Education at national level and across Europe
- promote excellence in the teaching of Geography and the training of geography teachers through the development and implementation of collaborative inter-university activities
- perform a coordinating role, disseminating information and good practice, facilitating dialogue between HE institutions in Europe and stimulating the exchange of students and teachers
- raise awareness of the need for pedagogical considerations in the development of curricula, and in the use of specific educational products including the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and ODL in Geography
- develop a common framework for the organisation of higher education professional development programmes leading to courses at Masters and Ph.D. level as initiated by the Sorbonne and Bologna declarations.
The project consists of three main thematic pillars for research.
- Europeanisation of geographical education curriculum, activities and policy
- Innovative co-operation strategies for the professional development and training of geographers, professional links, professionalism and quality issues
- Exciting Geography - Innovation in geographical learning and teaching
More information can be found on the HERODOT website.